Tuesday, October 24, 2006

#24: The Ivy Chronicles, Karen Quinn

After the horror that was The Pilot's Wife, I found - much to my joy - a large English-language bookstore, and I picked out The Ivy Chronicles. I had meant to read it awhile ago, but never got around to it. Now, while I had a couple of plane rides coming up, I thought it would be a good choice, promising some lighthearted entertainment. (I should say, I almost went for Wide Sargasso Sea, but it didn't seem like it would go well with jet lag).

It's been a little over a week since I finished it (and I finished it in about 28 hours), and I've almost completely forgotten what happened. Oh yah, she was a kindergarten-admissions counselor trying to get some young 'uns into fancy schools while romancing her neighbors. But it doesn't matter - the book served its purpose. It was fun, funny and the pages went surprisingly quickly. What more can you ask from the genre? I give The Ivy Chronicles two thumbs up.

Next up: I'm almost all the way through Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki. Supposedly, her life story was the basis for Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha, and she felt that he had misrepresented some of the facts about the geisha way of life, so she wrote her own book. Good for her.

No comments: