Tuesday, December 25, 2007

#25: High Fidelity, Nick Hornby

Fittingly, I started the year with Nick Hornby, and now I'm (just about) ending with it...although I suppose I could have timed it better to have this be the last book of the year (alas).

Well, I don't have that much to say about this one, as it's EXACTLY like watching the movie. Even the jokes are the same. In that respect, I wasn't that keen on the book since I've seen the movie a million times, but that's not really anything to do with the book itself. The only part that was slightly ambiguous was the ending...do Rob and Laura stay together? It kind of seems like it (and the movie doesn't help, since clearly he gets his act together and they do), but three pages from the end, in response to his marriage proposal, Hornby writes, "'Well, you've asked.' But she says it sweetly, as if she knows that what I've asked is a nice thing, that it has some sort of meaning, even though she's not interested." Hmm. Well, it's Christmas...let's be generous of spirit and just pretend they stick together, shall we?

Next up: The Jane Austen Book Club, by Karen Joy Fowler.

No comments: