Monday, December 14, 2009

#22: In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson

It took me forever to read this book. I started it in May, read about 70 pages, barely picked it up all summer, and then finished it right before Thanksgiving. So it might surprise you to know that I quite liked In a Sunburned Country. There's no plot to speak of - Bill Bryson comments on his various travels around Australia - but the book was lighthearted and funny.

Which came as a huge relief. I'd tried to read The Lost Continent a couple of years ago, but put it down about 100 pages in - the "humor" came in making fun of small-town America, with mean little observations masquerading as wit. Not cool, Bryson, not cool.

So In a Sunburned Country was a nice surprise. My goal was to read the travelogue before going to Australia, but alas, I read the bulk of it after returning. Which I actually think made the book more enjoyable - I barely went anywhere that Bryson went, but at the same time, I knew what he was talking about. Sadly, at this point, I can barely remember anything I learned from the book (it was chock full of tidbits) but I can say this: Australia rocks! Which has nothing to do with the book, but still...

No comments: