Sunday, May 01, 2011

Something Borrowed movie adaptation

Something Borrowed, an adaptation of Emily Giffin's fabulous and bestselling novel, comes out this Friday - but I can't decide if I'm enthused. I like this book so much that I've read it twice. But I can't figure out my feelings toward this movie (and I was spot on with my Eat, Pray, Love assessment). Watch the trailer and then we'll discuss:



As seen, Something Borrowed is the tale of the love triangle between mousy lawyer Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin), her best friend Darcy (ugh, Kate Hudson), and the man they both want, Dex (Colin Egglesfield). The trailer implies that the movie stays true to the book's events except in one major regard: Ethan. In the book, the action pretty much revolves around Rachel, Darcy, and Dex, which makes sense (the triangle is perfection in art, no?) and keeps things focused. I realize promoting Ethan to a major force here was a chance for the filmmakers to cast another hot young actor, the always hilarious John Krasinki, and appeal to the ladies. But it strikes me as a distraction, this fourth big character - and sort of effs up the sequel, when Darcy has to flee to him at his home in London. (And no, it ain't London, Connecticut.)

Thoughts?

Update on 6/5: So I've seen the movie now. It wasn't the greatest movie ever made but probably didn't deserve the critical thrashing either. But in regards to Ethan, I think they forced it - they moved him eventually but it felt forced.

No comments: