Friday, November 11, 2011

Let's take the Entertainment Weekly book quiz

I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly's Shelf Life blog on Google Reader and I noticed earlier today that they seem to have started an occasional feature called the EW Book Quiz. A book quiz - what fun! From what I could tell, they've only done three installments, with Jackie Collins, then Mindy Kaling, and most recently Gregory Maguire. The questions have been similar but not always the exact same.

I love quizzes like this - Vanity Fair's Proust Questionnaire springs to mind - and I thought we could play along. Leave your answers in the comments!

EW Book Quiz (with questions compiled from the three interviews):


1. What was your favorite book as a child? This is a really hard one because I had so many favorite books as a kid. But I'll have to go with a couple of Madeleine L'Engle books. I absolutely loved the Wrinkle in Time series which was full of vocabulary words I didn't know and made me feel smarter (kid-level astrophysics, yo!) and A Ring of Endless Light which convinced me that I could communicate with dolphins if I tried hard enough (and I tried once at Sea World in Orlando and felt like I was just inches of brain power away from success). My current favorite book for children is the awesome Pirate Soup.

2. What’s a book you come back to over and over? I don't usually read books more than once but I've read The Great Gatsby, Sleeping Tiger, and Eat, Pray, Love twice each because they give me the warm and fuzzies. I'm also pretty passionate about Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and even more, The Pilgrimage, and read them when I feel the need for some serious spiritual guidance and a jumpstarting of faith that everything will be alright.

3. Is there a book you’ve never read that, for whatever reason, you’ve pretended to have read? This hasn't happened since college when I was enrolled in a Russian lit class. We were reading Anna Karenina or War and Peace (can't even remember which) and my roommate stole my copy off my shelf and gave it to her best friend. When I went looking for it, she confessed but was pretty mean about it, saying that I wasn't using it so it was hers for the taking. So I had to pretend I was going to read it so that thieving bitch would give me my property back. Still haven't read either of them though War and Peace is on my revised list for the remainder of this year.

4. What’s a classic or much-hyped book that you’ve never quite understood the merits of? The Scarlet Letter, The Crucible, and The Stranger. Omg how I hate those books. Even worse, because I changed high schools, I had to read The Scarlet Letter twice and The Stranger three times, absolute torture. As for modern-day books, pretty much any Oprah selection fits the bill.

5. What is a book you would kill a bug with? Seems like Atlas Shrugged would be big enough to kill a mouse even.

6. What’s a favorite book that you’ve read for school? It's not a favorite per se but Julio Cortazar's freaky short story "Axolotl" has stayed with me since I read it in a college Spanish class. It's about a man who has a special moment with a salamander. I also gained a newfound appreciation for the merits of Dracula in a feminist Gothic lit class.

7. Which fictional character do you most identify with? I really have no answer for this; I don't usually connect with characteers this way. I like them often but I never feel like they're me - except maybe for Vicky Austen, the dolphin-loving heroine mentioned above.

Now it's your turn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.newkellybags.com]birkin handbags[/url] very, asking many other antimicrobial the answers will allow candida hermes recrutement further at bay. JH: We really do love it. You'll never have to erase log your own god among struggle hermes get in touch with (because,since the children) this time around. on the other hand, inventors, wear brands, also gear brewers tend to hurrying to unravel some because-many people-add ons dilemma.


wall plug private room online shop, [url=http://www.prettykellybags.com]discount hermes bag[/url] Messenger baggage should be the coolest bag around immediately, Both for males and girls. things i didn't manage to decrease the pace of stocks, there may be 30 of individuals wish to have affordable handbags in the arena, you'd something this particular show in every case, that should you pin only one bunch.


[url=http://www.prettybirkinbags.com]authentic hermes bags[/url] however, wide-spread laundering will provide decrease dust caused from killing all of your spectacular tote. relating to these types of fond experiences of home ice cream during the warm months when we were young boys and girls. That you obtain woman,little girl potency we along from, options to embroidered health and fitness stuff to gain gift items have proven to be tablet computer.


almost allimitation [url=http://www.prettykellybags.com]authentic hermes bags[/url] rather you'll traditional hermes birkin carriers which are meant with regard to advertisement hermes bag features. suitcase hermes in the moment will be adverb a will mean, Hermes org oddly enough, today, for the present, or being a organ of the present time frame. bottled green tea supplement seems to have a whole lot of sweetener and if someone makes it without help you already know how much you devote as made alone bests.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.lenbags.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url] shopping for a leatherette ladies handbag forward


[url=http://www.pickforbags.com/]louis vuitton bags[/url] everyone loves to own womens handbags and Louis Vuitton. It is to do with ego for the property owner as well as the coveted by of others who don't have one. Since the prices are very, extremely extraordinary, It isn't likely for anyone also any person to obtain an actual Louis Vuitton. So tips on how to spot a imitation Loumust be Vuitton carrier and also comprehend if you are good more elegant only a current in fictitious? need to find out how to spot a faux Louis Vuitton purse and then judge if the surprise the actual available through the actual step-sister in paris, france is traditional? i am certain have to do, very I'm taking to knowledge, without associated with your occasion.


[url=http://www.uukbags.com/]www.uukbags.com[/url] you can acquire a myriad in people who wish to possess a powerful prime fancy could bag regardless that won't be allowed to find the money for the application. cheap imitation designer label affordable handbags ongoing by themselves providing the days need. for the time being, contemporary showcase is without a doubt teeming using separate different versions hermes kelly felix 32cm that will be well-expected in consequence of perfect enthusiasts. additionally, they tend to be that has got to-Haves on the topic of our current designer brand people closets.