Thursday, August 14, 2008

#13 and #14: Double Love and Secrets, Francine Pascal

In case you don't immediately recognize the titles (whaaa?), Double Love and Secrets were the first two Sweet Valley High Books, published in 1983. Random House began rereleasing updated versions of the series earlier this year (I thik #4's just about to come out) and a friend and I started reminiscing about reading them way back when, which led me to track down some used paperbacks on Amazon...and here we are.

Sadly, the books aren't great, mostly because the characters are stereotypes and the writing is pretty bland (breaking Composition 101 rule #1: Show, don't tell). At age 12, of course, I didn't realize this; I just wanted to be a blond, move to California, have a twin magically appear beside me, and just get to high school already! I don't remember how far I got into the series before I grew out of it, although I'm guessing likely into the 70s, at least. But seriously, these books pretty much taught me everything my tender mind thought it knew about boys and s-e-x in the 6th grade. They were so influential, in fact, that I can still remember being given the first copy: I was at a sleepover at my best friend Alison's house, and I can still totally picture standing there in the bedroom when she gave me the hand-me-down from her older sister.

So I won't criticize the writing style or the plots; Francine Pascal and her team of ghostwriters likely never intended for the books to be read by adults. So I'll just smile and remember what it was like to be 12. Ah, 12...how fast it all goes.

But, should you want to be an adult and live (or re-live) the magic of Sweet Valley High, but don't want to go it alone, check out this blog: http://thedairiburger.wordpress.com/category/sweet-valley-high/ There you'll find one dedicated blogger and many fans wanting to do the same thing!

No comments: