Thursday, August 14, 2008

#15: Basic Black, Cathie Black

I interviewed Cathie Black, president of Hearst Magazines, for a story a couple of weeks ago and read her book, which came out in hardcover last year, in preparation. Although I'm generally not one for the business books, I liked Basic Black. Her writing style is friendly and straightforward, and it's as much a memoir as a how-to. But even more, her anecdotes about mistakes she witnessed and learned from jived pretty well with things that had been happening at my now-former workplace. And honestly, it felt gratifying to see these situations basically replicated and have Black say, no that was wrong, we should have done x or y instead. Because no one actually wants to work in an office like The Office, you know? But I'm getting off topic.

I'd recommend Basic Black and plan to give my copy to one of my former co-workers. So two thumbs up.

No comments: