Sunday, April 15, 2007

#6: Innocent Traitor, Alison Weir

It's been about two weeks since I finished this book, and I can barely remember what happened. I don't know, maybe I've read too much in the genre (that being Tudor era historical fiction) but I feel like each book is just a rehash of the last. Perhaps that's the problem with history in general - I guess it's hard to be creative with the truth.

Anyway, Innocent Traitor...this one was a wee bit different as the focus was on Jane Grey, a royal relation and fervent Protestant whose parents and father-in-law tried to set up as the Queen after King Edward (son of Henry VIII) dies. I wanted to like Jane, I really did - she was ill-treated by her mother and married to a brute - but she was just so damn sanctimonious. And nobody likes that.

I also hated Weir's technique of changing the narrator about every five pages - why has that become the new trend in historical fiction? It's just irritating. No need to say anything more, I'd rather just move on...

Next up? I'm reading 3 books at the moment: Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose, In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje, AND Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan. I don't usually read more than one book at a time, but I have varied and not-worth-explaining-it reasons. We'll see which one hits the finish line first.

No comments: