Sunday, October 19, 2008

Further Fictionalizing Twilight's Fiction?

I saw a trailer for Twilight last night and I'm kinda thinking I'm not going to go see it. Granted, I just finished the book so the details are fresh - and probably won't be at the end of next month - but in the three-minute trailer, it looks like the screenwriter took a lot of liberties with the storyline. Some are minor - in the book, after Edward saves Bella from nearly getting run over in the school parking lot, they lie on the ground together and she questions him, trying to figure out how he was there in a split second. In the trailer, it looks like he saves her and dashes off. The trailer also suggests that the ending will be a big showdown between Edward and James; that's a necessary change that I understand - you can't just have your main character black out and miss everything - but still, it's different.

I'm also not buying Cedric Diggory as Edward Cullen, mostly because I don't think he's good-looking enough. It's a mean thing to say but I think the point is well driven home in Twilight that Edward looks like a god. So I'm kinda surprised that they didn't pick someone who was just devastatingly handsome...though I suppose the white cake makeup doesn't help. (C'mon y'all, vampires are pasty.) Having said that, you know who I have always pictured as Edward Cullen, besides my friend of almost-the-same-name? Chuck Bass. And he's not handsome at all, but I can't help it...there was something in the early descriptions in Twilight that just locked in that comparison. Now when I see Gossip Girl, that's all I can think of...Chuck Bass as a vampire.

Alas poor Chuckles. Well, despite my lack of enthusiasm for the trailer, that hasn't dampened my curiousity for book two...I need to know what happens with Bella and Edward! So I caved today and bought New Moon. No doubt I'll be done shortly. :)

No comments: